Thursday, July 16, 2009

First a little about Grits... the food.


My mother is from Alabama but we live in Canada so the only way we could get our hands on grits when I was a kid, was if my grandparents came to visit. This only happened once every couple of years so grits was a big deal.

For those of you who might not know, Grits is a corn based porridge common in the the southern United States. It's similar to polenta but is usually white instead of yellow as it's made from hominy corn.

Growing up we had Grits at breakfast with eggs and toast. The best way was with some butter and salt and pepper added. Shredded cheddar cheese is also really yummy!

Grits is a comfort food and give you a warm stick-to-your-ribs feeling inside...

What does all of this have to do with my dog?

We named our dog Grits because curled up he looks like grits on a plate and he is the best comfort food for my soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment